SBC – Week 7 – A Normal Day in the Life of an HMS Middle-school Kid

So, at my school, the middle-school kids (there are 63 of us this year, sixth, seventh, and eighth combined) have the same time frame for the classes, but different subjects at certain times. For instance, one sixth grade class (the sixth graders are split in half) could be in math, while the other could be in social studies. This is how the day normally goes for us.

So, in the morning, maybe around 7:00, some people whose parents leave home early for work start arriving at school. Most people get to school around 7:20 or so. I get to school around there, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. We have to be in our homeroom by 7:45, and we can go down to the cafeteria and buy breakfast if we get to school early enough. When we get to our homeroom, the “morning leader” leads the flag pledge and the Golden Chain of Love, which is what we say every morning since we are a Buddhist school.

The Dharma Wheel Alex Abian via Compfight

That’s a Dharma wheel. Sorry, I couldn’t find a good picture with a better angle.

So, after our morning business is done, we go to our first class, which starts at 8:00. Our first three periods last for 45 minutes each, with five-minute breaks in between to walk to your next class (8:00 – 8:45, 8:50 – 9:35, 9:40 – 10:25). After that, we have recess until 10:40. Then, we have two periods that last for 40 minutes. These are usually resource classes (art, Japanese, tech skills, etc.). Again, there’s a five-minute break in between the two. Then, at 12:05, we go down to the cafeteria for lunch. We eat for 15 minutes, and then we have lunch recess at 12:25 for 20 minutes. After that, we have two more periods in the day, and they each last 55 minutes. The first one starts at 12:50, and there’s a five-minute break again. The school day ends at 2:45. There’s a fifteen-minute break before after-school classes start at 3:00. there are two periods for after school classes: one from 3:00 – 3:45 and another from 4:00 – 4:45. Some people don’t have any after-school classes, so they just go home or stay in a certain place with a supervisor for “study hall,” which is where they do their homework.

So that’s my school day in a nutshell. It’s actually a pretty good schedule because the subjects that we have at certain times are different each day, and the cycle repeats each week.

Pencil LoveCreative Commons License Clint Mason via Compfight

XD I guess that’s my closing picture. What is it with me and pencils forming hearts? Eh. Oh, well. Bye-bye, everyone!

Ω Angela Ω

2 thoughts on “SBC – Week 7 – A Normal Day in the Life of an HMS Middle-school Kid

1. Zion,

Thanks! Our schedules actually seem a bit odd to me, too, and I’ve been going to my school since fifth grade.

~Angela